Thursday, July 21, 2016

ANIMAL HOMES

It's been a week since Cali. And I am slowly adjusting back to normal life, including resuming summer school with the littles. Some days, I have to force myself to do it. Like that last week, right before our trip. I was so sidetracked with preparations that I almost skipped it. Glad I didn't. We talked about habitats and I whipped together some habitat sensory boxes on the fly. I grabbed four plastic tubs and filled them with ice, water, soil and leaves, and wood chips (I wanted sand, but was in a pinch and used what I had available). The four represented the arctic, the ocean, the rainforest, and the savannah - all of which were areas we had been discussing for our habitat unit. Next, I pulled out our little stash of toy creatures and had them sort the animals according to habitat. They worked well together, helping one another choose the right location. Once all of the animals were in, they were able to free play with the boxes. I'm pretty sure most of the creatures ended up "living" in ice caves. Either way, a fun activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment