Saturday, October 31, 2020

COVID HALLOWEEN

Halloween is, hands down, my FAVORITE holiday. I grew up with parents who immersed themselves in classic horror movies and threw lavish Halloween parties each year. Now, with children of my own, movies like Hocus Pocus and the Nightmare Before Christmas are watched on repeat in our home. Every year since the kids were born, we've had a family theme with costumes. This year was going to be epic. Epic, that is, until coronavirus. I couldn't justify spending the money or putting in the effort of crafting our costumes with uncertainty about the holiday looming on the horizon. So, by the end of the summer, we made a decision. We elected for Halloween to look different this year. Instead of doing our normal neighborhood carnival, we've chosen to stay home instead. Making fun cupcakes. Snacking on giant sized candy bars. Watching some new, Halloween-type movies. And, of course, our Halloween picture. Instead of the costumes that I had originally planned, I spray painted a couple of cardboard pieces (saved from Amazon boxes), slapped on a few logos that I had printed, and dragged my kids to the Mesa Arts Center for a few pictures. The theme this year: products of increased importance. Per the recommendations of the CDC, we stay home because we trust in science.

No comments:

Post a Comment