Wednesday, June 20, 2018

FEED MY STARVING CHILDREN

This post is one that is near and dear to my heart. Almost 12 years ago (on July 1st, to be exact), I left the comfort of the United States and traveled half way around the world to spend a month in a few remote areas in Africa. It was one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life, to be sure. There were things that I saw and felt that will never leave me. Even after all this time, I can close my eyes and still see the path that we took daily through Mungassa. I can smell the salt of the ocean while playing at the baby orphanage in Beira. I can taste the roasted chicken and orange slices that were served to us in Nhamantanda. I have reminders all throughout my home of my time in Africa. It was brief, but it forever changed my life. You can read some of my adventures HERE, HERE, and HERE. Last night, I had the opportunity to stir up some of those memories while serving with my cub scouts at Feed My Starving Children. We spent two hours packing food for children in need around the world - specifically for children in Honduras. It was incredible. I have seen others post about their experiences with this organization, but didn't appreciate the magnitude of it until I had the opportunity to serve there myself. I was hoping to photograph the entire process more, but only snapped a couple of shots in the last 5 seconds of packing food. What an amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment