Tuesday, June 11, 2013

ZOMBIE

Guys, I am a zombie. Not the flesh-eating walking-dead kind. More like the non-functioning human-being kind. I have had about six hours of sleep over the last three nights. A certain 2 year old has seen to it that I don't sleep. He screams for hours at bed time. AND when he wakes up in the morning. Annnnnnnnd sometimes in the middle of the night. All of our children have had wonderful sleep habits since day one; I made sure of it. So the first couple nights of screaming we were at a loss. We tried everything we could think of OUTSIDE of sleeping with him or allowing him to sleep with us. No way we are going down that path; it can destroy healthy sleep habits instantly. But last night, after I cried it out in the hallway, I stumbled across supernanny.co.uk and an article that talked about separation anxiety at bed time. Going to try out the Gradual Retreat Programme. Mainly because it is British. Just kidding. Mainly because it is the only advice that I have found besides giving them a new toy or blanket to snuggle. Bubs is not one for snuggling objects, so that one is out the window. We'll see how this retreat program goes. All I know is that I cannot average around two hours of sleep a night without turning into a real monster. So until we see some improvement in the sleep department, I may be a bit of a ghost online. Books and movies and naps may be what gets us (ME) through this. Fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. ack!! so sorry you aren't getting sleep! the worst. that program sounds like it would work, and hopefully it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds totally miserable. I feel like Jake's sleep habits have been up and down since day one and I can count on one hand the number of times he's slept through the night. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete