Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DISTRACTIONS

Hey look! A cookie...

I am the queen of distractions. Superior at getting side-tracked. It's an art, really. It has now taken me literally EIGHT attempts at making this post (sometimes I forget there is a "save" feature)... I have always been this way. I can't help but get fixated on something minuscule and [usually] insignificant when working on a lengthy project. Generally, my mini obsessions are harmless. In fact, they usually yield the opposite result and end up being either helpful or productive. Today was not the case. I realized quickly how being distracted can be dangerous. While working on a new recipe, I became overly focused on cleaning my sugary mess. The older two boys were at a friend's house. D was at the table eating lunch. N was asleep in her swing. The house was quiet and peaceful. I eventually looked up from cleaning to check on D. He was waving his arms sporadically in quick, jerky movements. His eyes were red. His face was ashen. His lips were purplish blue. D was not breathing, but a horrid gurgle was issuing forth from his throat. I can only describe the noise as sounding like death. I was so caught up in my cleaning that I did not realize that my baby boy was choking. I rushed over and immediately started giving him the Heimlich. As tempting as it was to scoop the grape from his throat with my finger, I knew I ran the risk of pushing it further down. So I pumped and pumped and pumped his little chest from behind until the grape was finally dislodged and fell into his lap. He looked at me, terrified from choking on the grape and, essentially, being manhandled by his Mommy. I instantly said a quick prayer of gratitude that D was okay. I know this will not happen every time I am distracted. I know that is not likely to ever happen again (especially since I have vowed no more grapes until he is 16). But this experience made me think about how easily I am distracted. And about everything I could be missing. The good. The bad. The mundane, day-to-day monotony that is my [happy] life. If I worry less about the little things I so often get fixated on, what things will I be present for?
Everything.

1 comment: