Sunday, October 17, 2021

BELATED POST: TORTOISE

Okay. This one is strange. But we had a "pet" tortoise for 2.5 weeks. It all started when taking my daughter to an activity. I saw my next-door neighbor in slight distress a few streets over, so I pulled over to see what was wrong. As I slow to a stop, I see the reason. A GIANT tortoise, who is comically following my neighbor around. I hurry and drop off my daughter before returning to my neighbor to see how I can assist. We checked with all other known neighbors and friends whom have tortoises to see if this big guy belongs to them. Nothing. So, against my husband's wishes, I put the tortoise in our backyard while we try to locate the owner. We check with a few more neighbors, on facebook, on message boards, and even with the exotic animal clinic to see if we can help him return home, but we come up with nothing. After a few long discussions and research on salcata tortoises, we decide that the best course of action would be to rehome him. Luckily, an old friend with the perfect set-up reached out on Instagram and, after having the big guy in our yard for just over two weeks, we were able to bring him to his new home. They have named him Dozer and he absolutely loves the leftovers from her bountiful garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment