Saturday, January 12, 2013

30 BEFORE THIRTY - HIKE CAMELBACK

This was a tough one. Not necessarily because the hike was strenuous - which it very much was - but because I am a complete pansy when it comes to the cold. My fingers turn to popsicles in the summer with the a/c on. And that is when I am on the opposite side of the room as the vent. It's ridiculous.

I had planned this hike two weeks ago, but missed the part where a cold front would be blowing through the night before the hike. So at 8pm last night, we finally cancelled. I was a complete grump. At 9am this morning, I was wallowing in my misery in bed. In walks the mr. with some snarky comment (which I totally deserved as I was being quite the little brat). Turns out he was just making a comment and NOT challenging me to do the hike. I read into it as the latter and was ready to walk out the door 10 minutes later, alone. After making a few last minute arrangements with the kids, I was out the door at about 11am. With the mr., to my delight. Hit the trail at noon (I may have misdirected us en route to Camelback). It was INTENSE. But I thrive on a challenge. It was a popular day to hike the mountain. We hit the summit at 1pm, stopping long enough to scarf down some granola bars. In the car and on our way home by 2pm. SO GLAD I did it today. I needed a break from the kids and knew being outdoors would do the trick.
2 down, 28 to go...
I learned that I CAN hike in 35 degree weather and live to tell about it.

1 comment:

  1. It's 35 there? Holy moly, that's cold for Phoenix! Congrats on making it to the top! Camelback is still on my to do list too, someday!

    ReplyDelete