Monday, January 14, 2013

ACHING

I feel as if I walk around with my heart outside my body. I feel things deeply; I love this and hate this about myself. The smallest of things can make my heart hurt. On Sunday morning, I got news that a friend from high school gave birth to her twins 15 weeks early. And my heart just aches. No matter the outcome, I know this will be a long road ahead for my friend and her family. That they will become instant experts at terms only used in the PICU and NICU. That they will spend many sleepless nights thinking of what might happen. That they will not be bringing their babies home when they are discharged tomorrow (nor for a very long time after). I know how quickly things can go from great to grave. And that the of smallest obstacles will feel like mountains to climb. Though I have not experienced it myself, I have friend who has when her twins were born just as early. I remember what she went through. How difficult that journey was. So I ache to know what my other friend must face. And what grieves my heart the most is that there is no way to know what the future holds for these tiny, precious babies. Love you, Mel.

1 comment:

  1. You are sweet, Leigh. I have the same heart on my sleeve issue, and it's even worse when I'm pregnant. You would think I'm the one going through all the horrible things. But I hate bad news about dear friends and family. It's heartbreaking. Glad she has you. ;)

    ReplyDelete