Wednesday, September 19, 2012

ENDURANCE

Pushing harder and stronger for longer. Both in my running and in my life.

As I was running this morning, I thought a lot about endurance. I just started running a couple of weeks ago, but I decided today was the day I would run a full mile before stopping (and by stopping, I mean slowing to a walk). Something I have not done for about 8 years. The entire time, I told myself, "one step at a time - one foot in front of the other". I tried not to look at how far I had to go. Or to think about how bad my lungs and legs ached. Instead, I looked at the ground in front of me and thought about my running goals. 5k. 10k. Half marathon. Full marathon. No set date to accomplish all of these (but aiming for before my 30th birthday in just over 3 years). I know that I will be running in a 5k in January - the Color Run. And I am hoping that I will be strong enough for a 10k in February - Ethan's Run. So I used the thought of my goals to push through the discomfort so I could complete my first full mile. And I DID IT. Twice. Over two miles down with just a 10 yard speed walk in the middle. It didn't feel great. At least not physically. But mentally, I was on fire. And that's enough to keep me going harder, stronger, longer.

While I was running, I also thought about the endurance needed in every day life. Some days, we can run through life. Some days, we might need to walk a little (or a lot). And some days, we might stumble and fall. But if we know our goal and keeping going one step at a time, one foot in front of the other, we will make it. We may not see or understand the rewards immediately. But they will come. And we will be blessed for our efforts and our endurance.

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on the 10k too! Maybe we can run it together!!

    ReplyDelete